The Environmental Defenders' Office (ACT) Inc. is an independent non-profit community legal centre specialising in public-interest environmental law. The EDO ACT was established in 1995 and is part of a network of community legal centres across Australia specialising in environmental law, the EDOs of Australia.
EDO ACT is currently based in the Canberra City.
- To empower the community to protect the environment through the law.
- To provide a community legal aid service to provide legal services on environmental and related matters to persons whose interests should be pursued as a matter of public interest taking into account their financial means.
- To address the disempowerment that results from an inability to access legal services in relation to matters affecting the natural and built environment and to promote access to the legal system for persons seeking to protect the environment.
- To provide a community legal service specialising in environmental law for the benefit of persons in the Canberra region whose interests should be pursued as a matter of public interest taking into account their financial means.
- To ensure that the EDO (ACT) is able to operate effectively and is accountable to its funding bodies